Jan was born and educated in the Netherlands where he was raised in a family that emphasized both an “old world” work ethic as well as a thoroughly modern entrepreneurial spirit. He came to the U.S., married, and soon began Hardwood Designs, a high quality cabinet shop in Hillsborough. Please have a look at some of the company’s work by clicking HERE. Jan embraced technology early on. This, plus his European craftsman’s eye for detail, his inquisitive instinct for problem solving, and his unceasing demand for quality, soon drove his company to thrive. Duke University, University of North Carolina, and Glaxo Smith Kline were just a few of his clients.
He sold his business in 2007.
• Coach at the Kenan Flagler Bussiness School in the ‘Softlaunch program’
• Architectural Woodwork Consultant:
Creating efficient workflow, implementing leaner administration and growing market share for Architectural woodworking firms.
• Volunteer at ‘The Farm at Penny Lane’.
• CEO of Smartware, LLC
• Representative for the Quality Certification Program (QCP) at AWI (Architectural Woodworking Institute). Inspect participating member’s facilities as well as projects to insure that industry standards are being met. 2007-2013
• President Hardwood Designs, Inc. A millwork manufacturing company. 1986-2007
Learned along the way:
• Project management
• ISO 9000 Lead Auditor Course; 2011
• Lean Administration Course, Virginia Tech; 2011
• AWI Speakers bureau, public speaking course; 2010
• School of hard knocks
HOBBIES, OTHER INTERESTS
Photography, Beekeeping, Kayaking, Fly fishing, Sailing and (no surprise here) Woodworking.